Lviv nightlife is dominated by its large student population (with over 50,000 students it’s one of Ukraine’s biggest university towns). But there are still plenty of places for yuppies and “aging” hipsters to dance, mix and mingle, and enjoy live music. Or maybe you’re planning a wild guys’ night out, looking for good beers, or just drinks with friends…you can find places for all those things too.
Traveler Tips for Lviv Nightlife
- Prices. If you’re used to club prices in big cities you will find the prices at even the most expensive Lviv clubs very reasonable, often not much more than 10 EURO. Just make sure you bring cash before heading out for the night–not all places accept credit cards.
- Face Control/Entry. If you’re headed to a club don’t wear white sneakers or sports clothes, dress sharp and wear dark shoes, and don’t be visibly drunk. The hulking security guards won’t care if your white sports shoes are Italian-made and cost 300 EURO. And don’t forget to bring a photo ID.
- Location. Most clubs and bars are conveniently located in easy walking distance from downtown Lviv. If you’re not staying downtown or want to hit a club outside the center, see our Getting Around Guide for advice on taking a taxi.
- Late night dining. Most clubs don’t serve more than snacks, so it’s a good idea to grab a bite to eat before you head out. If you’re planning on a late start or an all-nighter, here’s a quick list of your late night dining and 24-7 options.
- Live music. With its National Music Academy, Lviv is full of talented of musicians. A few places have regular live music, but many shows aren’t always well-advertised; see our Events Calendar if you don’t want to miss a cool show.
- Meeting girls. Thursdays are often the best night of the week to meet girls at Lviv’s clubs–several of them have Ladies’ Night Thursdays. Lviv is more conservative than other parts of Ukraine (most wild stories you’ve heard apply to Kyiv and Odessa). But if you’re polite and persistent, it’s quite possible to make new friends–just be prepared to dance. Most of the time, buying her a drink will only get you so far–compared to Western countries Lviv girls don’t drink that much at clubs. To impress her, here’s one more tip: try breaking the ice with a few phrases in Ukrainian.
- Stay out of trouble. When leaving clubs be careful to avoid loud drunken behavior especially if you’re in a big group—such behavior will draw the unwanted attention of local police.
- No open containers. It’s illegal to drink in public in Lviv. You will see locals doing it, but don’t do it: it’s not worth the risk.
Check Out the Lviv Alive Nightlife Locator
- To find a full list of Lviv night clubs, discos, lounges, pubs and late night restaurants.